This section includes most of my articles and links to their online pages (some are PDF files). There is also some unpublished material.
With the Good Reading Guide having wrapped up in November 2016, I've been given permission to post some of my 320 reviews which were formerly behind its paywall. I'll be selecting some in the coming weeks.
* "Tolkien fan science and the flora of Middle-earth." MercatorNet.com. 26 October 2017.
* "Beren and Lúthien: The surprising origins of a Tolkien legend." MercatorNet.com. 16 June 2017.
*"Way of the Warrior Kid" (book review). MercatorNet.com. 5 June 2017.
* "The Silmarillion: tracing the roots of Tollkien's mythical universe." MercatorNet.com. 27 April 2017.
* "Anne of Green Gables gets a reboot." MercatorNet.com. 7 April 2017.
* "Animal rights, and wrong arguments." MercatorNet.com. 16 Mar 2017.
* "The trouble with Hillbilly Elegy (Book Review)." MercatorNet.com. 27 Jan 2017.
* "A Polish Tolkien? The fantasy world of Andrzej Sapkowski." MercatorNet.com. 13 Dec 2016.
* "Goodbye, Good Reading Guide - and thanks for the ride." MercatorNet.com. 12 Nov 2016.
* "Denial kills you twice: Canada's response to terrorism." MercatorNet.com. 3 November 2014.
* "Living in the Past: What's behind our love affair with the Middle Ages?" MercatorNet.com 17 December 2013.
* "Riding the Coattails of Harry Potter" (Book Review of The Cuckoo's Calling). MercatorNet.com. 27 August 2013.
* (with Clare Cannon). "Favourite Books of 2012." MercatorNet.com. 18 December 2012.
* "75 Years of The Hobbit." MercatorNet.com. 7 December 2012.
* "Bruce Bawer's The Victims' Revolution (Book Review)." MercatorNet.com. 9 November 2012.
* "J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy (Book Review)." MercatorNet.com. 22 October 2012.
*"'Donner and Blitzen! Where's my pipe?'" MercatorNet.com. 8 October 2012.
*"A geek lesson about sensitivity." MercatorNet.com. 20 September 2012
* "Spartacus: Human dignity in meltdown." MercatorNet.com. 29 May 2012.
* "Meet the genre master (Joss Whedon)" MercatorNet.com. 22 May 2012.
* "What does a "realistic" fantasy look like? " MercatorNet.com. 4 May 2012.
* "Miller's Holy Terror takes aim at al-Qaida," QMI Agency (Sun News national chain), 30 September 2011.
* "Imagining Beowulf's Grip," MILO: A Magazine for Serious Strength Athletes 19.1 (June 2011) 66-9.
* ?Twilight: Undead Sock Hop,? The National Post, 22 Nov 2008, sec FP1,
pWP14 (also featured on Canwest?Global websites across Canada).
* ?Batman: How the Knight went Dark," The Ottawa Citizen, 26 July 2008, sec.
B, p3, 8 (also featured on University of Toronto Research webpage).
* ?The Path to Blood: A Consideration of Symbols in Gísla saga Súrssonar.? Saga-Book of the Viking Society for Northern Research 35 (2011): 5-24.
Chapters in Scholarly Collections
* "Consorting with the Gods: Exploring Gaiman?s Pan-pantheon." The Mythological Dimensions of Neil Gaiman . Edited by Anthony S. Burdge, Jessica Burke, and Kristine Larsen. Crawfordville, FL: Kitsune Books, 2012. 94-108.
Scholarly Book Reviews
* In the Land of Invented Languages. By Arika Okrent. Mythlore 111/112 (Fall/Winter 2010): 176-9.
* Merlin: Knowledge and Power through the Ages. By Stephen Knight. Mythlore 113/114 (Spring/Summer 2011): 187-91.
* Old English Liturgical Verse: A Student Edition. By Sarah Larratt Keefer. This Rough Magic: A Peer-Reviewed, Academic, Online Journal Dedicated to the Teaching of Medieval and Renaissance Literature. Summer 2011.
* The Ring and the Cross: Christianity in "The Lord of the Rings". Edited by Paul E. Kerry. Mythlore 115/116 (Fall/Winter 2011): 176-81.
* From Elvish to Klingon: Exploring Invented Languages. Edited by Michael Adams. Mythlore 117//118 (Spring/Summer 2012): 143-52.
* Tolkien in Translation. Edited by Thomas Honegger. Mythlore 119/120 (Fall/Winter 2012).
* The "Beowulf" Manuscript. Edited by R.D. Fulk. Dumbarton Oaks Medieval Library 3. The Heroic Age 15 (Oct 2012).
* The Broken Scythe: Death and Immortality in the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Edited by Roberto Arduini and Claudio A. Testi. Mythlore 121/122 (Spring/Summer 2013): 129-36.
* An Hobad translated by Nicholas Williams and Hobbitus Ille edited by Mark Walker. Tolkien Studies 10 (2013): 199-213.
Popular Book Reviews
* The Language Construction Kit. By Mark Rosenfelder. Mythprint 47:10. 9-10.
* Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms. By Ethan Gilsdorf. Mythprint 48:7 (#348) (July 2011).
* The Fully Illustrated Robert E. Howard Library (fiction review series). The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (2003) to Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures (2011). The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian. Mythprint 48:12 (#353): 5-6.
* The Bloody Crown of Conan. By Robert E. Howard. Mythprint 49:4-5 (#357-8) (April-May 2012).
* The Conquering Sword of Conan. By Robert E. Howard. Mythprint 49:11 (#364): 3-5.
* The Dictionary of Made-Up Languages: From Elvish to Klingon, The Anwa, Reella, Ealray, Yeht (Real) Origins of Invented Lexicons. By Stephen D. Rogers. Mythprint 49:1 (#354) 2012. 8-9.
* Jim Henson's "The Storyteller" (graphic novel anthology). Edited by Nate Cosby. Mythprint 49:2 (#355) 2012. 4-5.
Reviews of Film, Television, and Electronic Games
* "ABC's Once Upon a Time and NBC's Grimm: Treading Water in the Ocean of Story." Mythprint 48:11 (#352) 2011. 3-4.
* "Exploring the Blind Spots: Snowblind Studios' ''The Lord of the Rings': War in the North."
* Mallorn: The Journal of the Tolkien Society (forthcoming 2012).
* Mythprint 49:2 (#355) 2012. 9-11.
Media Work and Appearances
* 29 October 2009 Powerplay with Tom Clark (CTV News Network) (uncredited)
* translated portion of Liberal Party press release from Latin (gibberish) into English (gibberish)
Numerous segments on Sun News Network between 2012 and 2014. Some are still available on YouTube.
Appeared on several segments of The Charles Adler Show (Winnipeg) to discuss linguistic and cultural topics.
* 27 February 2015 (with Geoff Currier) How Will Language Evolve in 100 Years?